Wednesday 31 August 2011

The Mountains

This is a poem I wrote some years ago. It was published in the inaugural issue of The Afghan Mosaic, which unfortunately ceased publication after a few issues due to lack of interest and funding. The poem talks about how I miss Afghanistan and how with each passing year it recedes further into my past until it seems like it was a dream...

The Mountains

There's a world I knew
Of glistening dawns
Kissed by the morning dew
In the mountains nearby

There is a place I love
Of placid lakes reflecting
The craggy rock above
In the mountains not far away

There used to be a home
That I see in my dreams
And my heart still roams
In the mountains, somewhere

There was once a land
Memories of which I keep
From shifting like sand
In the mountains far, far away

I long to go there
Among the rocky hills
And the cool mountain air
If those mountains still exist

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have mountains in your new home too Banti; get to Scotland. I know its not the same, but they're still beautiful and their liquors not bad either. Good to read this.

Khyberman said...

Thank you. Someday I will.

And I know all about the liquor :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a beautiful poem! And near to my heart too, since I can really empathize since my lands are also distant and dreamlike. I love it and the feelings it inspires.

I have to say I'm really happy I found this blog, I find the whole layout and presentation very attractive and welcoming. :) I'll def be back for more!

Sangeeta said...

Beautiful :))

Khyberman said...

Thank you Sangeeta. Being appreciated means a lot. You of all people can understand this. :)

When's the next book out? Fancy collaborating on one?

Anonymous said...

I am amazed! GO YOU! Keep it up! I must say I am impressed! Very touching and creative...

Anonymous said...

I love how with each passing stanza the mountains seem further away. Nice!